Metadata tools are vital for DLs (digital library) and digital resource repository growth. Sharable ontologies and metadata schemas supporting a wide range of functions have helped initiate tool development. The DL community needs to share developments, knowledge, and evaluation methodologies specific to DL metadata tools. This workshop will facilitate dialog among people interested in metadata tools—including, but not limited to, tool developers, companies, and users. The workshop seeks to improve communication in the DL/metadata tool community and advance the state-of-the-art for tools in this environment. Specific objectives are to:
- Communicate challenges and solutions specific DL metadata tools and software, including metadata creation, management, preservation, display, and retrieval issues.
- Exhibit a range of tools developed to aid creators, managers, and users of information systems, specifically in their work with metadata schemas and vocabularies.
- Foster discussion between software developers, DL leaders, digital collection managers and application users.
Participation & Exhibitors Call
Participation is open for general workshop attendance. We invite researchers, tool developers, companies, and users. We are also seeking participants who plan to exhibit their tools in the Tools Exhibition part of the workshop (see schedule for more information). Exhibitors need to submit a brief abstract about the functionalities and special features of their application to be shared with workshop participants. Deadline for submission: May 25, 2006. Notification, May 30, 2006 (or prior). Exhibitors should submit a brief abstract about the functionalities and special features of their application to Thomas Severiens: severiens AT mathematik.uni-osnabrueck.de, or Jane Greenberg: janeg AT ils.unc.edu.
Early registration deadline: May 15, 2006
Regular registration deadline: May 25, 2006
Deadline for Exhibitors' Proposals: May 25, 2006
The workshop will take place in room HSL 527 of the Health Sciences Library building
[details on the room]
Registration Workshop Organization
All standard presentation devices will be available.
RegistrationYou can register at the JCDL website.
Workshop OrganizationWorkshop Co-Chairs
- Jane Greenberg, Associate Professor and Director, Metadata Research Center, School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Thomas Severiens, Researcher and Project Manager, Fachbereich Mathematik/Informatik Universität Osnabrück
Teri DeVoe, Assistant Coordinator for Logistics
Erik Mitchell and Gershom Rogers, Exhibition Coordinators
Workshop Advisory Committee
- Tom Baker, DL Researcher, Goettingen State and University Library, Germany; DCMI (Dublin Core Metadata Initiative) Director Specifications Documentation; and Chair, Dublin Core Usage Board
- Dan Brickley, Research Consultant (formerly W3C Researcher), United Kingdom
- Traugott Koch, Senior Librarian and Digital Library Scientist, UKOLN, University of Bath, United Kingdom
- Corey Harper, Metadata Librarian, University of Oregon at Eugene, USA
- Eva Mendez, Assistant Professor, Library and Information Sciences Department, University Carlos III of Madrid, Spain
- Erik Mitchell, Systems Librarian. Z. Smith Reynolds Library, Wake Forest University, USA
- Mitsuharu Nagamori, Associate Professor, Graduate School of Library, Information and Media Studies, University of Tsukuba, Japan
- Gershom Rogers, Sr. Business Analyst, Instructional Information Systems, School of Public Health, UNC, USA
- Will Sexton, Metadata Architect Programmer, Information Technology Service, Perkins Library, Duke University, USA